How to Get Rid of Heartburn In Pregnancy
Pregnancy-related heartburn. Heartburn plagues most moms-to-be at some point because progesterone, the hormone that relaxes muscles in pregnancy, also relaxes the stomach valve that keeps acid out of the oesophagus. In addition, the growing uterus crowds the stomach, forcing acid into the oesophagus.
Eat healthily: You're more likely to get indigestion if you're very full. If you're pregnant, it may be tempting to eat more than you would normally, but this may not be good for you or your baby. Have small, frequent meals. For example, you may have 6-7 small meals rather than having only 3 big meals. Each meal should consist of no more than one and a half cups of food. Smaller meals also mean less time for acid to build up in your stomach because food neutralises stomach acid.Eat food and drinks that are easily digestible. Avoid rich, fatty or spicy dishes as well as chocolate. Citrus fruits or fruit juices as well as alcohol and coffee also lead to heartburn in some people.Take your food slowly. Relax while eating and enjoy every bite of yours. Don’t bolt down your food. It leads to heartburn as well as indigestion. In fact, chew solid foods slowly and extremely well till the time they are almost liquefied.
Keep standing or sitting for sometime after a meal. Here are some activities that you can do after your meals.
1. The best thing is to take a leisurely walk after meals.
2. You may also do a little housework. However, don’t do any work that needs you to bend over.
3. Or just sit down and enjoy reading a book.
While such trigger foods differ for each person, there are certain foods that usually lead to heartburn. Here is a list of such foods.
Acidic foods like citrus fruits including such veggies as tomatoes Fried foods and spicy foods Chocolates Coffee Carbonated beverages Alcohol.This, along with smoking, should anyway be banned during pregnancy. Having most of your fluids between meals is a better option than having them during, meals. Have soups, smoothies, yogurt, milkshakes, still water. Have nutritious drinks like coconut water. Herbal teas are good but explore well about the herbs you are taking as many of them may not be apt for consuming during pregnancy. However, don’t have lots of coffee or caffeinated tea that also lead to heartburn. Try to avoid more of liquids beginning a few hours before bedtime as it may interrupt your sleep.
Sleep in Right Position to Avoid Heartburn during Pregnancy:
1. Sleep in a propped-up position and for this you may use many pillows to keep your head raised. This position helps maintain gravity that in turn helps keep your stomach acids in control.
2. You may also use wedge-shaped pillows to gently keep your upper body slanting upwards.
3. If not, just place some blocks or books or any other thing under the legs of your bed’s head. I will keep the bed elevated along with your head and upper body.
4. Sleep on your left side. This makes it difficult for stomach acid to go upwards into your oesophagus.
5. Always wear loose fitting clothes, not only when you sleep but during all your pregnancy period. Tight clothing put more pressure on your abdomen, and may worsen acid reflux. Loose-fitting maternity wear is one of the ways to keep heartburn out of scene.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Heartburn during Pregnancy:
A little lemon juice mixed with water can work wonders for your heartburn. Lemon help keep the acids in your stomach neutralised. It creates an alkaline-forming environment that protects you against acid reflux. You may even try lemonade. However, because lemon is citrus and citrus foods may trigger acidity, you need to first check whether this remedy works for you or not. The trick is to use only a little lemon juice. If that too gives you heartburn, stop having it and use some other remedy.
Many pregnant women find ginger soothing when it comes to cure heartburn.
Apple to get rid of Heartburn when Pregnant. If you suffer from night time heartburn, you can have red apples that are sweet. These apples help make an alkaline environment in your stomach so as to neutralise the excessive acids. Golden delicious apples may also be taken but avoid the tart apples as they may worsen your acid reflux.
1. Have few slices of such red sweet apples before you go to bed.
2. You may also have unsweetened applesauce.
3. Unsweetened apple juice can also be taken.
Almonds to get rid of Heartburn when Pregnant .This is one of the best remedies for heartburn in pregnancy. Eat some almonds after every meal. They miraculously control your stomach acid. It seems that the natural oil in almond help neutralise your stomach juices. Eat Organic Raw almond. Eat 3-4 raw almonds after each of your meals. In fact, have 3-4 of these nuts after anything you eat, even snacks and not only meals.
However, do not exceed the amount of almonds as excessive almonds can in fact lead to heartburn. Just 3-4 of them are enough after your meals.
Papaya the enzyme papain in papaya is a protein-dissolving enzyme that eases a number of stomach ailments including heartburn that has its roots in the stomach acid. Papaya is also a rich source of minerals and vitamins A, C and E which means that you not only relieve heartburn but also get much needed nutrition when you eat papaya in pregnancy. You may well make papaya juice with fresh ripe papaya.
Drink enough water to keep yourself hydrated because heartburn can actually be a sign of dehydration too. However, don’t drink much water during mealtime. This flushes off all the digestive juice from the stomach leading to indigestion.